Monday, March 21, 2011

My First Whining and Complaining Blog...

Being a parent is hard work.  It requires patience, loving, and understanding.  I love being a parent.  Being a manager is really hard work.  I love my job.  But it too, requires a lot of patience, and understanding.  Okay I even throw in the loving part.  When it comes to the students, I have no problem managing them.  Calling parents used to freak me out, but it's gotten so much easier.  But, when it comes to managing adults, it's tougher.  I would say that I am a pretty understanding person, and being a parent, I know that things happen that are obviously out of your control.  So I never ever ever give my employees a tough time when it comes to their health, or the health of their kids.

But then when I see on Facebook that the person I've been the most understanding with say "They need to find a better job, and that they do not like their job", I start to get a little less understanding.  But, I do not want to be passive aggressive.  Like I said, I am very understanding when things come up.

I guess my first concern is always the program I oversee.  It's important that I go to work everyday, but it's really really important that my group leaders come to work every day.  Kids are all about routine.  And it's three hours a day!!! I've never worked somewhere where you can come to work when it's convenient for you.  Jobs are commitments.

All this being said, I will still be an understanding manager.  It's just the way I am.  But is it okay to be a little less understanding with someone who doesn't seem to have much of a commitment and care about coming to work everyday?  I'm leaning towards yes...

Maybe I shouldn't be friends with my employees on Facebook?  Is that the problem?

2 comments:

  1. I would unfriend the coworkers. Remember the problems it caused Trish.

    ReplyDelete