Monday, April 4, 2011

The Food Blog

I wanted to share some stuff I've made in the past.  It's amazing the possibilities of cooking vegan.  I love going to the Chicago Diner and ordering a rueben.  Now, I know what you carnivores are thinking.  "Why do you want to eat stuff that looks and tastes(kinda) like meat?" Well the answer is quite simple.  It brings me much much comfort to know that no animal had to die for me to eat.  And I enjoy so much the process of cooking a great meal.  I like that I can be creative, and that being a vegan is in no way boring, nor do I feel like I am missing out on anything.

Here is a salad that I bring just about every day to work.  I go to my local supermarket, and see what organic fruits and veggies I can get on sale.  This week it was mixed bell peppers- $1.99, mushrooms- $1.99, and lettuce- .99 cents.  The strawberries were not organic- $1.99 and the craisins were $1.69.  And of course Newman's Poppy Seed dressing.  Yum yum.  I always get a lot of compliments on my salad.  It is a pretty salad if I do say so myself.


Next is my St. Pat's dinner.  I made shepherds pie, mashed rutabaga and carrots, and broiled cabbage.  Very tasty, and of course, beef you were not missed.

I've already shown my mac and cheese using Daiya, but here it is again.  I'm finding it hard to get Owen to eat his veggies.  He is a picky eater, but when you cover them in cheese, he's game:)

The last thing I'll brag about today is my crepes and potatoes.  My crepe recipe comes from The Garden of Vegan, and it's a family and friends favorite.  We recently picked up some soy whipped cream, and it really is the icing on the cake, I mean crepe.  The potatoes are simple fried potatoes with red pepper and onion, and a touch of seasoned salt.  Syrup is completely optional with this tasty treat.

So that is that.  Time to eat.  



No comments:

Post a Comment